Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Valleys and Peaks


With a newborn and a toddler, it’s understandable that my writing has been in a bit of a slump.



For the past two months, this has been my life:



My goal is to get more sleep and then figure out how to juggle everything so my life becomes more like:



For now, I’m learning through trial and error, but strapping my daughter to me in the Baby Bjorn and giving my dog more “independent play time” outside has helped.



Although I’m experiencing a valley in one area, the new addition to our family has been the greatest blessing imaginable.  I was worried if I’d be able to give each child the very best they deserve. At first, I put tremendous pressure on myself, which wasn’t good for me or them. Then I realized a small shift in perspective on what was “best” would reduce my anxiety and ensure my children were happy.

My mental shift:




Please join me next week for my Week of Love Giveaway! Monday through Friday I’m going to give something away from gift cards to books.


Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for another month of IWSG
If you don't know Alex, he's definitely worth checking out.

Also check out the awesome Insecure Writer's Support Group Website.


Are you having difficulty cutting yourself some slack? How do you let go of your stressors and go with the flow of life?


13 comments:

  1. Balance is that illusive fiend who offers so much but always seems just beyond our reach. Yet we must try, while accepting perfect balance is impossible longterm. Life likes to throw spanners for one thing, and humans are awful plate spinners.

    Best of luck :)

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trial and error is a good way to start but I think all moms feel like you do, regardless their organization. I must say meditation is great to help ease stress and it doesnt take much time. Might as well try it. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 5 children in 7 years and juggling is hard. Being a good mother is the greatest gift you can offer yourself and children. It will all fall into place. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! on the new addition! Juggling is fun. I love my kids and there is nothing else I'd rather do. Except write. But don't tell them that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good move, Isis. A blessing is a blessing and well worth the adjustments.

    Thanks for finding and commenting on my blog, so that I could return the favor and join your following.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has to be very difficult having two children that are so close in age. My kids are three years apart, and I could barely handle it. I thought that I would remember everything, but I wish that I had written down every detail of their early years. Try to get as much rest as you can, and you will be up to the challenge!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine juggling all of that. But the kids come first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just remember it's all about having fun (kind of like the commercial.) Have fun with your kids, play with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new baby! It's definitely a juggling act but worth every minute (especially when you are past those days and can look back on them. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!

    I hope you find a way to juggle your life and writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post! Great visuals, humorous, real problems, all told in a wonderful story. And might I add your header is a visual stunner.

    Stresses...ugh. I just meditate (ha!) and keep plugging through them. And write when I can.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember balancing five girls, school, and a job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. congratulations!! it all gets done evenutally, or not... prioritize, get as much done as you can, and make sure you include time to relax and enjoy your family! stolen moments are a great time to try poetry!!

    ReplyDelete