Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Writer’s Path


Every writer has a unique path to follow. No path is perfect. Most seldom go as planned, but how we handle the bumps and curves along the way will determine how much we enjoy the journey.

On November 24, 2013, my daughter was born. As I prepared for the birth, I used the delivery of my son, who arrived June 14, 2012, as a guideline. I was in agonizing active labor for 41 hours with my little boy. I spent the first 36 hours at a birth center using hypnobirthing techniques to manage the pain because I wanted the most natural experience possible. My contractions went from every five minutes to every ten minutes. Yes, the opposite of what was supposed to happen and I never dilated past seven centimeters.

My midwife recommended I go the hospital, get Pitocin, which they couldn’t use to aid in the delivery, and an epidural so I could rest since I was exhausted.  My husband wasted no time pulling the car around and we rushed to the hospital. Even with the Pitocin, my body resisted letting my little boy out, but eventually after 15 minutes of pushing he was born.

For the birth of my daughter, we planned to hang out at home with our son until my contractions held steady every five minutes for at least two hours, then we'd head to the hospital where I would promptly get an epidural. No hippie visualization the second time around for me.

Once again, the universe threw a wrench into my plan.

My labor went at warp speed, lasting less than three hours. Contractions never held steady at all. In the last 15 minutes of labor they dropped from ten minutes to four to two. It happened so fast, I never even made it to the hospital and my husband missed it because I told him to take his time getting home from work.

I ended up giving birth to my daughter at home, in the shower, with help from my mother who was visiting all while my son and dog watched. I pushed twice as I told the 911 operator my address and my daughter was born. The umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck. My heart stopped beating until we pulled it off and I heard her cry. I’ve never felt such relief and joy at the same time.

Each child had a vastly different experience coming into this world just as each writer will have a unique journey. Never compare your work or your path to anyone else’s. No matter what bumps or curves you encounter, try to enjoy it.

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for another month of IWSG.

What's on your TBR list for 2014? Any books being made into movies you want to see this year?






19 comments:

  1. What a story. Glad you and baby are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Now that's an accomplishment. Congratulations on your new daughter. She wanted to see the world. Glad you had your mom there to help.

    Labor and birth is a good analogy for writing and every path to a story is a little different.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference! I guess plan for anything, right? Congratulations on your daughter and glad you are both all right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredible story! I'm so happy that you and your daughter are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my heck! I'm so glad it went easier for you the second time and that you're both well. How scary. For me, after that first horrible delivery, the others were so fast. *hugs* Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God! Good thing your mother was there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Isis! I cannot even imagine---but what amazing women you and your mother are to bring the next lil' girl into the world on your own. I hope all three of you ladies are doing great.

    My kids are the exact same distance apart. Except my daughter came first, in June, and then my son the following year in November. It's busy while they're both little, but it's been so fun to have them grow up so close in age, always at the same stage of what they think is fun & funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What an amazing story. I was gripping the edge of my desk as I read it. I'm happy you and your daughter are okay. I was in labor for 2.5 days with my son, but I knew right from the beginning I was having an epidural and so I didn't have any pain. Sleep, I didn't get any either! Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing stories like this. It's not all perfect and happy and momentous. Having children in painful and messy. Wonderful but messy. :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this story. My second baby is due in the spring and I have no idea how it'll go. Will just have to wait and see I suppose.
    I like the analogy between writing and coming into the world x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful birth, Isis! I can understand you must have been terrified--no hospital, no doctors, no midwife, what if something goes wrong, etc.--but in retrospective you have to be so proud. Congratulations on your little girl and an "uneventful" birth (somehow the adjective doesn't feel right after this story, but you know what I mean), and thank you for sharing this great bit of inspiration. You're right: no two paths, in life or writing or anything else, are the same. Embracing that is the key to finding our own uniqueness, and in that uniqueness lies happiness. Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm stunned whenever I hear about a woman having natural childbirth. You're a superhero! Congrats on your new little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Isis! I got years in my eyes reading that. Thank God your both ok! That is truly amazing. Your daughter will love hearing that story over and over when she gets older. Mine is now 7 and she loves hearing about when and how she was born.
    Wishing you many blessings! Big congrats and hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow totally got pulled into that story without even realising D: congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your story. It was a lovely and poignant. I appreciate being reminded that we can't compare our writing to anyone elses...we can't even compare it to the writing we did before. Each story is a new birth with different amounts of labor (and pain killers).

    Good luck to you in 2014

    Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the birth of your little girl. She was born on my grandson's birthday. A very good day for babies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so happy for you!! they're full of surprises, even in birth!
    hope you are enjoying her - i know you are!
    congratulations!

    ReplyDelete