Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Good Deed Goes a Long Way


Growing up, my neighborhood church did what it could to help those in need. Around the holidays a soup kitchen was set up to ensure no one went hungry. Participating in the distribution truly opened my eyes to the impact one’s generosity could have on another’s life.

I’ve also volunteered to help deliver food for the Meals on Wheels program when I was younger. This is a great organization. The elderly appreciate receiving a meal as well as seeing a friendly face. 

The number of children and seniors going hungry throughout this country is astounding. I don’t want to be “Debbie Downer” in this post. I merely want to help the hosts, Tina Downey and MJ Joachim, of this Holiday Food Drive Blogfest bring attention to the shortage at food banks across the nation this year.

Many of the individuals and families that receive meals from food pantries and food banks don’t qualify for government assistance such as W.I.C. or food stamps, yet are barely surviving.

For the past two years, I’ve donated money instead of my time because it’s easier. As my children get older, my husband and I plan to involve them in our charitable activities.

If you’re interested in helping out, I recommend donating food or your time to a local food pantry. Pantries usually have to purchase their food from a larger food bank, so if you donate to them directly, you cut out the middle man while saving a soup kitchen some money.

To find a food pantry in your area, simply click HERE

You can also check out Feeding America, a national food bank with local chapters throughout the country. 

13 comments:

  1. Great idea to put up links so that people can easily get involved! You've also brought good attention to the fact that we need to train up our children in being generous and helpful to those in need. Really well done, and not at all Debbie Downey ;-)
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Isis .. yes as Tina says .. I've been noticing that a lot of parents involve their children ..such a great way for them to see others' lives and how difficult growing up can be.

    Interesting note about donating direct to a food pantry .. and missing out the middle man - I'm sure we have that here in England too - but it's not applicable to the FoodBanks I mention ..

    The more we can all do to highlight others' plights at this time of year and give them some relief or help - the better ...

    Good to meet you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliminating the middle-man…definitely my kind of thinking. Love the bit about sharing a smile with the elderly too. Most importantly, it's good that you mentioned those who sort of fall through the cracks, and don't qualify for government assistance. St. Vincent de Paul does a lot to help people like this throughout the year. They also assist with paying electric bills and other necessities that are so difficult to do when one's financial resources are stretched to the limit. Thank you so much for participating in this blog hop. Your post is very thoughtful and inspiring, Isis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not even remotely a Debbie Downer. Not even a little. It's a harsh reality, but too many people go hungry. I think this blogfest is such a good idea, and I'm donating to my local food bank, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the best part of this time of year, the generosity and how many people think beyond themselves. If only we kept that attitude all year round, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our church operates a food pantry and we give often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We give often to a secular food pantry in our area, with a focus on holiday foods this time of the year. As SNAP benefits decrease, pantries desperately need more donations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha!

    Stopping by from the BlogFest to say hi and that was an excellent idea to add the link for local way to help.

    We have three boys and really want them to, one day, go on a mission trip - they will come back with a better understanding on how good we have it here in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids did time at a food pantry in the city and I think it's good for them. My son also stayed a week in Appalachia to help build a home for the poor, and then to the Dominican Republic to help sick people. If everyone helped one another maybe society wouldn't be so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our church is in the intercity even though we live in the suburbs. They provide breakfast to the homeless Monday through Friday, and serve a hot lunch on Saturday and Sunday. We have a food pantry, clothing and emergency assistance program. This is a poor church, but many businesses in the community donate to this church. We help seniors and the homeless. Unfortunately, there aren't enough volunteers to do everything, and the same people volunteer all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool. I had no idea there were food banks right down the street from my house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the reminder. I try to donate groceries a few times a year to the local food bank. I call them ahead of time to see what items they are most in need of, so I can get the best things for them. Often they need baby food and cereal. :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete