Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sucker for Mythology


I’m a sucker for most things involving mythology. I have been ever since I was old enough to comprehend the meaning of my name. Thanks again Mom!



I learned about Siv Maria Ottem’s Norse Gods Blogfest from my blogger buddy extraordinaire Alex J. Cavanaugh.  




Siv is celebrating the release of her new book, Secrets of the Ash Tree, and celebrating a birthday today. Congratulations and Happy Birthday, Siv!!


So, which Norse God is my favorite?

It’s never easy to choose only one when there are many fantastic choices, but I went with the goddess Frigg (also Frigga). I chose her because she had a lot in common with the incredible Egyptian goddess Isis.

They were both foremost amongst the other goddesses in their pantheon. They were associated with love, marriage, childbirth and seen as great mothers/wives. 

Frigg was Queen of Asgard, wife of Odin and stepmother of Thor. 

 

She had the gift of prophecy, specifically knowing the destiny of everyone. She foresaw the death of her son, Baldur—the god of light, beauty, joy and considered the best of the gods. Although she knew she was helpless to alter his destiny, she tried anyway. I’d expect nothing less from a mama bear. The clever goddess made all things (creatures, objects, forces in nature) promise to never harm her son. Unfortunately, she overlooked the mistletoe plant, thinking it was too young or insignificant to hold to such an oath.

Leave it to the trickster Loki to find Baldur’s one vulnerability and kill him.  

In some versions, not even death stopped Frigg, another similarity to Isis. Depending on which account you read, I prefer the happy one, Frigg struck a deal with Hel to have Baldur returned to Asgard. In the lighter and far less common version, once Baldur was resurrected Frigg lifted the curse she placed on mistletoe, changing it to a symbol of peace and love and promising a kiss to all who passed under it.

If you're interested in the darker tale, it's easy enough to Google.

For a list of other participating blogs, please see below.




18 comments:

  1. I like the lighter version better. Good choice, Isis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Isis...

    LOVE your name....

    Frigg is a great choice. I picked her son, Baldr... LOL. I like your version better. SO beautiful especially about how she turned the dreaded mistletoe to a positive ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rene Russo did a phenomenal job as Frigg. Great choice
    -Maurice Mitchell
    The Geek Twins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice, mamma bear. And have I mentioned I have such name envy. I wish my mom had named me after a goddess. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frigg is a great choice. Such a wonderful matriarch of an incredible family. Happy Norse God blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama bears have to be that way sometimes. I like Frigg, too and the goddess I chose has some similarities to her. (Saga)

    Good luck to Siv and Secrets of the Ash Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Isis,
    Didn't realize that kissing under the mistletoe originated from this legend. Good choice for a goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frigg was truely devoted to her family. Good choice! Thanks for participating in this blogfest and for honoring the Norse Gods today. They are smiling down at you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi visiting from the blogfest. I am learning so much today, I enjoyed your post and am particularly intrigued by the mistletoe. I read Michael's post earlier when he mentioned it too. Congrats to Siv.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice choice, and very informational! I didn't know anything about Frigg or the origin of kissing under the mistletoe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frigg is fortunate that her husband and family listened to her warnings-- there are so many women in the Norse sagas who have this gift of prophecy, maybe from Frigg herself, and their family members say "well, if that happens, it happens, but we're doing this anyway."

    great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frigg is a great choice! What fun I'm having hearing about everyone's favorite Norse god.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I love studying mythology, I shamefully must admit that I don't know much about the Norse pantheon. Frigg sounds like an amazing goddess!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, I'd like to learn more about Frigg. A person could write some great stories using her ability to predict the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, o clue why you'd be attracted to Isis . .

    Frigg was a good mother though, wasn't she.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Norse myth. My favorite goddess is Freya. Some sources say Freya and Frigg are aspects of the same goddess, but others consider them separate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hated what Loki did to Baldr so much that in my THE BEAR WITH TWO SHADOWS, I had my mythic bear save Baldr's life. LOL. What's the point of being a writer if you cannot set some things right!

    ReplyDelete

  18. Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

    Obat Kulit Supaya Lebih Bersih Dan Sehat
    Obat Pilek Menahun
    Obat Alami Batu Empedu
    Obat Lupus
    Obat Ginjal Bocor
    Obat Infeksi Lambung
    Penyebab TBC Kelenjar
    Obat Gatal Bibir Vagina
    Cara Menghilangkan Infeksi Jantung
    Obat Penyakit Jantung

    ReplyDelete