Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Fledgling in Flight


Although I’m now a published author, I still feel like a fledgling. I only have one book out, Kindred of the Fallen, with the sequel, Protector of the Flame, soon to release in October. Yet I’m still learning so much about the industry.

I haven’t gone to any writer conferences, but would like to attend one or two in 2014. How to do face-to-face networking at those conferences is still a question I haven’t answered.

Developing my online network is a work in progress. However, every break I take from blogging, tweeting and Facebook puts me even more behind the curve. I’ve also only skimmed the surface of Goodreads. I don’t fret over this too much because my number one priority is my family, no matter what. With an active toddler and another bundle of love due on Thanksgiving (ah yes, the beautiful product of our family vacation in Puerto Rico), sometimes blogging and other online activity has to be put on hold.  

In addition to learning more about the industry and building my networking connections, it’s important to make time to learn more about my craft. When I was actively in the military, professional development was critical to advancement and becoming an expert in your field. The same can be applied to many other careers, especially writing. Sharpening my writing skills will only pay dividends in the future.

Are you feeling overwhelmed by your to-do list? If so, how do you cope? For those writers out there, do you think you’ve mastered all you need to know in this field? Are there any areas where you want to learn more?

Thanks Alex J. Cavanaugh for another month of IWSG.

16 comments:

  1. I always feel overwhelmed. Especially now that I've got two titles out there. But family does come first above all else. There have been times when I've had to break from blogging and social networking just to take care of family business. As for seminars and such, my goal is to try an get to the free on-line ones by Indie-Recon, but my job schedule always gets in the way.

    Congrats on the new baby.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wearing the Overwhelmed Crown this month. Ah yes. I'm wearing it well.

    You are right to make your family your #1 priority. Congrats on your new bundle of love coming this fall. What wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a busy fall planned!
    I'm overwhelmed today, but at least I expected it.
    Family does come first, because without them cheering you on, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always limit the length of my to-do list. I don't add anything to it until I take something off of it. That's my rule.

    Congrats on your success!

    I'm new to IWSG. Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Isis, congrats!

    I'm learning to cut back, even at the risk of falling behind. Slow and steady is better than burnout and I like feeling as if I have some kind of balance in my life. I also like learning, so I'm forever reading up on the craft or marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are in a very similar place. Funny that we wrote about the same thing today. I want to go to a writer's conference next year too. There's one in Ohio coming up in a few weeks. I'm thinking about only attending the Saturday session just to see what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on baby number two!! Awesome.

    When I think about how much I don't know about publishing it makes me a little skittish about going forward. But I guess it's like being thrown into a lake and learning to swim. I'll dog paddle if I have to. :)

    And I go to a lot of writing conferences. They are great for meeting new people. And you learn so much from just listening to people talk about their experiences. I hope you get to one soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good thing with most things to do with writing is that they aren't time critical and they are cumulative. That means that no matter how much you do or when you do it, you end up with more than before, whether it's in the marketing or the actual writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Isis! I know, isn't it insane how much we're supposed to keep up with?? I've been on GoodReads for awhile but I've barely grazed the surface of it. And as for actual conferences, I've found online peeps to be more friendly and fun, so I stick with what works. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. Congrats on your little bundle coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In answer to your first question - yup. Totally overwhelmed most of the time. Research and networking and marketing and...oh, yeah, writing. And then there's the rest of my life. Got to squeeze it in somehow. I can't tell you how to manage it but I can certainly tell you you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I'm totally overwhelmed. I'm not sure how I'll EVER catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Ciara on this one - overwhelmed. However, I'm putting family first, and I'm just working a little bit at a time, one word at a time, one sentence at a time, one craft book at a time . . . somehow I'll finish my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I just prioritize things by day so nothing seems too much. But yes, I do understand the feeling of being completely overwhelmed by all the things you have to do.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Yes, I do feel overwhelmed. I handle it by prioritizing things that are most important for now, realizing that can change according to the month or year (or even week). You can only do as much as you can do.

    Great post. :)
    August co-host and IWSG #110

    ReplyDelete

  16. Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

    Obat Kulit Supaya Lebih Bersih Dan Sehat
    Obat Pilek Menahun
    Obat Alami Batu Empedu
    Obat Lupus
    Obat Ginjal Bocor
    Obat Infeksi Lambung
    Penyebab TBC Kelenjar
    Obat Gatal Bibir Vagina
    Cara Menghilangkan Infeksi Jantung
    Obat Penyakit Jantung

    ReplyDelete