Friday, May 17, 2013

Best & Worst Movie Remakes Blogfest



Oh how I love movie blogfests!!

Thanks to the hosts:

Alex J. Cavanaugh
http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com/
Stephen Tremp
http://authorstephentremp.blogspot.com/
Father Dragon Al
http://fatherdragon.blogspot.com/
Livia Peterson
http://leaveittolivia.blogspot.com/

Objective: List the best remake you’ve ever seen and the worst. Added bonus, list the worst and/or best song remake you’ve ever heard.

Worst Remake: This one was a tie.

The Stepford Wives


The original was creepy, chilling and made a sociopolitical statement for the 70’s. I saw it when I was 12 or 13 on VHS. To this day, I vividly remember the horrifying ending.



The remake was a cheesy, hot mess!



Conan the Barbarian


I love the original, despite the fact Arnold Schwarznegger has like 15 lines (maybe that’s a good thing) and flexes throughout the whole film (definitely a good thing).  I was so excited when I heard about a remake. Then I saw it.

The movie was dreadful. Actually, it was horrendous.

The special effects sucked.

The story and acting lacked heart.

They completely butchered Valeria’s kick-ass warrior character.



In the original, she saves Conan more than once and even comes back from the dead to help him because of how much she loves him.

In the remake, the character was a simpering, screaming cliché.






Best remake: This was tough! I almost had a tie.

Runner-up

The Thomas Crown Affair

The original with Faye Dunaway and Steve McQueen was edgy and stylish for the time period. Faye Dunaway was gutsy and sexy. Steve McQueen was cool under pressure and the last thing you wanted was for him to get caught, but it lacked the depth of its contemporary counterpart.


The remake was glamorous and sensual and I completely fell in love with Rene Russo and Pierce Bronsnan. I believed their love story. The writer, director, and costume designer did a great job.

Although the ending in the remake was more fulfilling, the original ending was true to the Thomas Crown character and more fitting. If the remake had maintained the original ending, then this would have tied for best remake.

Best: The Great Gatsby






The original movie starred Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. I saw it years ago. It did a satisfactory job of conveying Fitzgerald’s novel, but it was flat and lifeless.









The remake blew me over with all of its glitz, audacious music choices, stellar acting and special effects that actually worked. Never thought this story could be depicted in such a lush manner. DiCaprio was brilliant as Gatsby. Baz Luhrmann pulled off this bold remake successfully, even if it did have a few minor flaws.






I was going to do worst soundtrack remake, but I came across a remake of a song that I loved and wanted to share it.

Jack White’s version of U2’s Love is Blindness is outstanding. Don’t get me wrong, I adore U2, but White’s rendition makes me feel like the title should be changed to Love is Madness. Absolutely stellar.

Have you seen or heard any of my choices? Do you have a favorite?

32 comments:

  1. I have to agree about Stepford Wives. That is really terrible. I have heard good things about Gatsby and I really want to see it to see if it does live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the original Thomas Crown Affair was far better than the remake....only my opinion.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to see Gatsby here in Mexico...and glad to know it'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to see the Great Gatsby. I read the book four times.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    How's the baby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually...The current Gatsby movie is the fourth remake. But I have heard it is the best so far.

    As for the others you listed, I loved the original Stepford Wives and had no inclination to see the remake (it's hard to mess with perfection, isn't it?). I've never seen the original Thomas Crown Affair (although I want to), but I saw the remake and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Thomas Crown Affair almost made my top spot. It was classy and stylish. And Rene Russo was hot - bonus!
    Thanks for participating in our blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, maybe I will go see The Great Gatsby...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, good choices (except I can't speak for The Great Gatsby since I hated the book, so I won't see the movie).

    Sometimes with remakes, I think they get it wrong because they try to hard to be like the original but other times it's because they try too hard to be different. It's a delicate balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Conan remake just didn't have a lot of life to it. At least Jason Momoa made for nice eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Conan the Barbarian - that's the worst movie remake every. Why did I forget? Oh, that's right, it was so terrible I tried to burn the memory from my brain.
    Good choices!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree with Conan the Barbarian!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never saw The Thomas Crowne original, but I love the remake. It's awesome.

    Conan sucked. The original had more of a comic book-cheese flair, which was perfect. It didn't take itself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree on Stepford wives, not so much on Thomas Crown (but I was a huge Steve McQueen fan). I haven't seen the remake of Conan or the new Gatsby so I can't comment on those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Great Gatsby was just amazing. I absolutely loved the remake.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody seems to hate Stepford Wives. I loved the Thomas Crown Affair!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not seen Gatsby but I'll have to. I loved the Thomas Crown Affair, really enjoyed it. Thanks for participating, Isis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes on Stepford Wives and Conan! Both originals were terrific.
    I haven't seen the remake of Thomas Crown Affair or either of the Great Gatsbys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi- I agree with your choices. Especially Conan and Thomas Crown Affair. I haven't had the chance to see the new Great Gatsby yet, but I am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We saw GATSBY last week and enjoyed it. Too much Toby Maguire, and a little of him goes a LONG way, but it was a well-crafted film as far as the visuals and music went.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of these movies, I've only seen The Stepford Wives, and I completely agree with you about it. That remake was such a slap in the face!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Schwarzenegger did an Ok job considering, but it was nothing like the original comic. Thought provoking list Isis.

    The Geek Twins

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Thomas Crown Affair remake was definitely better. I haven't seen or read The Great Gatsby but the 2013 version definitely looks over the top in the trailers. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am surprised I forgot the Stepford Wifes, it was such a bad remake of such a great classic.

    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a big fan of the Thomas Crowne Affair. Its a great movie to watch with wifey.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful choices. I agree with all of them; just saw Gatsby the other night; brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We are seeing Gatsby in about a week's time - I look forward to it. :)

    I remember seeing the Stepford Wives and I've seen it featured a lot in this blogfest, but I have never seen the original.

    ReplyDelete
  27. ok...but wasn't jason mamosa way hotter then arnold???

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your beautiful blog I really liked your article as it is very interesting to read thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never heard of that U2 song. .. but you have me cuRious

    ReplyDelete
  30. Title:
    Best Revenue sharing with the High Returns Investment

    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:

    Web Link:
    http://whatacash.com
    Display Name: whatacashwaqar

    ReplyDelete
  31. Title:
    Best Revenue sharing with the High Returns Investment

    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:

    Web Link:
    http://whatacash.com
    Display Name: whatacashwaqar

    ReplyDelete
  32. Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

    Obat Kulit Supaya Lebih Bersih Dan Sehat
    Obat Pilek Menahun
    Obat Alami Batu Empedu
    Obat Lupus
    Obat Ginjal Bocor
    Obat Infeksi Lambung
    Penyebab TBC Kelenjar
    Obat Gatal Bibir Vagina
    Cara Menghilangkan Infeksi Jantung
    Obat Penyakit Jantung

    ReplyDelete