Friday, April 12, 2013

Guest Post: Carol Kilgore


 
 One of the first individuals to host me on their blog was the lovely Carol Kilgore. She is a fellow GIAMer and one of the sweetest ladies I know. I'm so excited to have her here today. Also, I'm giving away an e-copy of her book, Solomon's Compass, to one lucky commenter.
 
  
 
A few days ago I sat down to write my guest blog for Isis. Just as I moved my hands to the keyboard, the doorbell rang. My neighbor needed my help for a few minutes.

 

When I got back to my computer, what you’re going to read was on my screen.

 

This was left for me by the two lead characters in Solomon’s Compass – no-nonsense Coast Guard Commander Taylor Campbell and sexy former SEAL Jake Solomon.

 

Hi Carol … This is Taylor.

 

And Jake.

 

We’re going to write the post for you. While you were writing our story, you asked us each a question we wouldn’t answer. We decided now was a good time.

 

You kept asking me what was the craziest thing I ever did when I was a kid. And all I’d ever admit was visiting Uncle Randy and being my mother’s live-in laborer.

 

So here’s your answer. In second grade, I crushed on Tommy Ludlow big time. One day at school, I told him I wanted to show him something behind the cafeteria.

 

You lured him!

 

Did not. He thought I’d found a frog or something. As soon as we rounded the corner, I kissed him.

 

Did you give him tongue?

 

Jake! He ran away crying. And no. I didn’t even know what that kind of tongue meant. Jake’s laughing. But it was traumatic for my seven year old self. I was afraid to kiss anybody for years!

 

I’ll go find this Ludlow guy and make him come apologize.

 

That’s not necessary, but thank you.

 

I’m glad you were over your kiss phobia by the time we met.

 

Me, too.

 

My turn. Slide the keyboard this way.

 

I’m going to read over your shoulder.

 

Okay, Carol. You kept asking why I walked into Lulu’s when I did. Man, did you pitch a fit! You kept yelling at me to leave, that I couldn’t be there yet. As I recall, I didn’t even turn around and look at you. I just sat there and ordered a beer when Lulu came around.

 

That’s rude, Jake. You’re the one who needs to apologize.

 

I had that hat on, and I even let you think I was my dad. But you kept saying I showed up too early, and I’d ruin everything. That I was supposed to come in later and leave right away.

 

But I wasn’t budging. I thought for sure you’d figure out why, but you never did. Even after you decided to see things my way. You see, if I hadn’t come along when I did, Taylor would have ended up with that other guy … you know the one.

 

No way!

 

So I stayed because I knew Taylor was here. And she’s the one I came for.

 

We’re signing off now. See you in Solomon’s Compass!

 

And that’s how the note ended. They didn’t even say goodbye, and I have a feeling they had other, more urgent things on their minds. And you know what? I’ll bet Jake didn’t run away crying when Taylor kissed him.

 

What do you think?





From chilling prologue to final paragraph, Carol Kilgore's SOLOMON'S COMPASS is an edge-of-your-seat mystery offering a pitch-perfect blend of suspense and romance, with enough twists to keep readers compulsively turning the page. Compelling characters, a vivid Texas Gulf Coast landscape, and a town full of intriguing suspects make this novel a standout.

   --VR Barkowski, Al Blanchard Award Winner

 

 Blurb:

A missing belt—her uncle’s prized possession. The lure of buried treasure. And a sexy former SEAL who makes U.S. Coast Guard Commander Taylor Campbell crazy. What more could any woman want. Right?

 

Taylor is in Rock Harbor, Texas, on a quest to unearth her uncle’s treasure—a journey far outside the realm of her real life. There’s one glitch. Taylor's certain the buried treasure was all in Uncle Randy's dementia-riddled mind. Now he’s dead.

 

Former SEAL Jake Solomon is in Rock Harbor under false pretenses to protect Taylor from the fate that befell her uncle and the other members of a tight circle of Coast Guardsmen called the Compass Points who served together on Point boats in Vietnam.

 

Jake is definitely not supposed to become involved with Taylor. That was his first mistake. Taylor is attracted to Jake as well, but she refuses to wait for him to locate the killer when she knows her plan will force her uncle’s murderer into action.

 

But the killer's actions are just what Jake is afraid of.

 

 

Bio

 
Carol Kilgore has always had stories and characters in her head. She wrote short fiction for a few years and enjoyed a small success as a freelancer before giving it all up for her true love – novels.

 
As a Coast Guard wife, Carol has lived in locations across the U.S. She and her husband now live in a San Antonio suburb and share their home and patio with two active herding dogs whose mission is to keep them free from danger, real or imagined.

 

You can find Carol and her books here:

37 comments:

  1. Very cute post! Tweeted and shared.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked it!
      Hugs and chocolate back :)

      Delete
  2. Your characters are sneaky! And probably off kissing somewhere right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. But times weren't always easy for them....

      Delete
  4. Hi, Isis!

    Thanks for hosting me here today. And for giving away an e-copy of Solomon's Compass.

    You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor needs to be careful. I think Jake will jump at being lured to the back of any cafeteria. lol

    I enjoyed the interview with your characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake used to really enjoy cafeteria food. Now he's into fine dining, and only from his favorite restaurant :)

      Delete
  6. I loved it! I've seen Solomon's Compass all over the web lately! Good luck Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol! Yay! So lovely to see you here and thanks, Isis, for hosting her, Taylor and Jake.

    Taylor and Jake's little back and forth definitely caught my attention. Mind slipping into kissy-face thoughts lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isis is the best!

      Thanks for dropping by. My mind did that a lot during the writing of their story.

      Delete
  8. Awesome to see you here, Carol. Best of luck slaying the sales records on Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need good luck, Michael, so thank you for the wishes!

      Delete
  9. I always love it when characters visit blogs. They're always entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great guest post by the characters of Solomon's Compass. Don't put me down for the giveaway because I have already bought and read the book. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific post, Carol, both here and on your website. On my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! You're not doing bad yourself with your Highlanders and the Kommando Kilts!

      Delete
  12. Taylor and Jake are very cute together! What a fun post.

    Congrats on another successful tour, Carol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're not always cute in the story. But sometimes they are!

    I loved this tour and all the hosts. But I'm somewhat relieved that all I have for the rest of April is "just" the A to Z - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am certain Jake didn't run away crying when Taylor kissed him - he would be much, much more likely to weep if she stopped. (Discretely, because he would not like to be thought a crying man.) Fortunately I think he is safe and Taylor won't stop kissing him anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Taylor and Jake are quite a pair. Congrats on a wonderful blog tour Carol! Thanks Isis!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's an undeniable spark between the two... it comes across clear and strong!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. Thanks, Michelle.

      Delete
  17. Love the vibe between these two! Fun interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for hosting me, Isis. I had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really amazing! I liked this post very much.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute post. I'm sorry I am so late, but it was spring break for kiddos last week.

    ReplyDelete