Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Hard Work Always Pays Off

As we endeavor to reach our goals, whether it’s writing a great book an agent/editor will love or losing a few stubborn pounds, it’s easy to get discouraged. A rejection arrives in your e-mail inbox. The scale has been stuck on one number or worse has gone in the opposite direction. When the progress we expect stalls, it’s important to remember one thing. Hard work always pays off.

Don’t fall into the trap of not taking any responsibility. Is it possible you sent a manuscript off before it was truly ready? Have you put yourself out there and gotten honest, impartial feedback on your work? Maybe you conveniently forgot about that hamburger you ate. Perhaps you’ve been doing the same routine, at the gym or at home in front of your computer, and can’t understand why you’ve plateaued.

Hard work always pays off.

If you’re a writer, get some critique partners or try new ones. Fresh eyes will help. Enter a contest for a different level of feedback. Never stop trying to improve. Take an online class on craft or order a book to help you with dialogue, pacing, characterization or any other weak area. Go to a retreat for writers where you can focus exclusively on growth for a week.

If you’re struggling to lose the weight, hire a trainer for an hour to show you different exercises. Write down on the calendar every day that you actually get in cardio and some muscle toning. Hold yourself accountable when you get fast food for breakfast instead of having a bowl of oatmeal. Step it up a notch. Stop walking on the treadmill and try running for a minute or two.

Whatever you do, put your fears, your laziness, and your excuses to the side.

Decide what you want, then go after it, every single day.

Hard work always pays off. It’s just a matter of time.




My baby is due later this month, so I'll probably only have a couple of additional posts for a while. I'd love to know if you've been working hard every day, slacking or plan to try something new to get out of a rut.

Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for establishing the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

28 comments:

  1. What a great reminder and a lesson I've learned. Congrats on your book and best wishes on your release. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True words. Nothing worth having ever comes easy. Hope everything goes well with you and the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been working very hard. Hope your newest "release" arrives healthy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome post! Very motivating and honest. I do one thing everyday towards helping my body and my writing improve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm struggling with the weight loss, not with the writing. I have a great work ethic with the writing, not so much with the cardio. Today, I'll start exercising after I write.

    I hope your delivery and first few weeks with the baby are easy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said. I'll be thinking good thoughts about your upcoming "launch date".

    ReplyDelete
  7. No work means nothing happens!
    Dig the poster. For several reasons. Yeah, I should just stop now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. encouraging, get that butt in gear post! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said . . . and congrats on the baby! Speaking for myself, chasing a 10 month old around had certainly done wonders for my weight loss, even if it has put a crimp in my writing time. Wouldn't trade it for the world, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the encouragement and straight talk. Hope that you have a wonderful month. Enjoy you time and get ready for a truly wonderful life experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your baby will achieve great things having you in his/her corner! Do I get at least a few points for going on a walk after dinner last night? Best of luck to you, and I can't wait to read all about your beautiful baby! Try to get some rest now if you can. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Isis. All the best for the birth of your baby in a few months.

    Thanks for this post, very motivational. Without hard work in our chosen area we'll never succeed.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's hoping you a healthy and adorable (as well as uncomplicated) delivery.

    I agree 100% with your post. There's nothing quite like doing rather than hoping.

    I don't know who said it, but it goes like this, "There's no such thing as trying, you either DO or you DON'T."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope everything goes well for the birth. I totally agree that hard work does pay off. I know I slip into the excuses on occasion and need that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best to you and the new baby, Isis. Hard work does pay off. I found that even if I think something is a strength, maybe I could see it through fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great post. I have been neglecting the physical aspect of my life and your post reminded me that exercise is essential, so thank you. Good luck with the birth. I wish you and your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isis-- congrats on your baby!! I hope everything goes well. This is a great post. I am trying to finish my manuscript. I'd like to get it professionally edited. Your post confirms it. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great, encouraging post! I found you through the Insecure Writer's Group.

    Shelly
    http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

    Now following.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Isis. I'm a bit slow reading the IWSG posts as have been in Fiji on holiday and lost internet for 5 days, OMG! Tough! Meanwhile I've been writing heaps so that is the upside of no internet.

    Denise

    All the best for the birth of your baby<3

    ReplyDelete
  20. working hard writing, working too much at work, and working on my tan - it being summer :)

    congrats on the impending tiny person!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isis, sweetie, I needed this kick in the rear. LOL Let us know when the baby arrives. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indeed it does. Work doesn't have to have its payoff right away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Iris for the email. I'm just getting caught up on everything. Blessings to you and your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so true. Sometimes hard work and time is the only combination that works.
    I hope you and your family are adjusting and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Excuses are always easier than working hard. Thanks for the reminders.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete