Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Complications Build Character

Along our chosen path in life, we will encounter obstacles. How we choose to tackle those hurdles, the attitude we adopt, and the perspective we take, will often determine the outcome ... in the long run.

As I made my transition back to the United States, I decided to take a break from blogging and tweeting to focus my energy on higher priorities. At the end of a long day I never thought "Gosh, I wish I had written a blog post or visited the sites of more of my blogging buddies or spent ten extra minutes on Twitter." However, many of my priorities (spending time with my husband, staying fit, giving my canine kiddies the attention they deserve) bring me so much joy that I was in danger of allowing my break to last a smudge too long.

So I hopped on my computer, eager to do a post for Alex Cavanaugh's Insecure Writer's Support Group. As luck would have it (there are two kinds you know) a "blaster worm" infected my computer while I was searching sites for a quote to include, quite literally stopping me cold. When a trojan hit this past December, I lost everything on my beloved laptop. It took time and money to recover all of my work, but at least I thought I'd met my quota of computer problems for a while. I guess I was wrong.

Faced with this obstacle yet again, I chose to laugh rather than cry, well it was more like a cross between a growl and a psychotic chuckle. I'm no computer expert and knew I would need help to resolve the issue, but I didn't want the problem to derail me from my objective. I searched everywhere through packed belongings to find my iPad and forged ahead with my mission: make a contribution this month to the support group.

Life is too short to shed tears over every bump that crops up on our path. It's also too short to neglect your true priorities or to lose faith in your dreams.

Never give up. Never give in. No matter how big or tough an obstacle may be.

"The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak became a stepping stone in the pathway of the strong." ~ Thomas Carlyle

25 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back, Isis. It's important to take time off and I'm glad you can chuckle (even if psychotically) about the computer woes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't control the bumps or even see them coming - we just have to plow through.
    And aren't you glad you have an iPad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Never give up' is great advice. I can think of nothing worse for a writer than losing your files. If you can get over that, you can get over anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I lost EVERYTHING (fortunately I backed up most things) when something bad hit my computer. The computer couldn't be saved without spending tons of money (according to Best Buys). We bought a new computer and I ignored my husband's complaints about security software. I installed one this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your computer problems, I hope they can be fixed without too much trouble. Glad to hear it didn't get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing Isis - I love that quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brinda ~ I've missed so many of my online friends. It's nice to reconnect.

    Alex ~ Thanks to my husband, yes, I'm glad I have one :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tonja~ It was horrifying to see everything wiped off my computer. Luckily, I was too shocked to lose my mind.

    Stina ~ You were smart to back up everything. In Dec my stuff was not backed up. I corrected that this time :).

    Rachel ~ Can't let the little stuff get us down. If we do, then the big things will crush us.

    Amy ~ Glad you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek. I lost a computer to a virus like that once. Lost everything that wasn't backed up on a disk. Needless to say, I'm a little anal about backing up my writing and important files now.

    Glad to see your blog pop up in my reader again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your optimism! I'm taking some of it with me today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh I would be devastated if I lost everything on my computer! But you're right, little frustrations (like right now when my internet keeps crashing. Insert grunt/growl) I shouldn't be crying over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quote, Isis. Granite seems insurmountable, but it's amazing what a chisel can do to one, lol! It's all in the attitude, isn't it? Optimism finds a solution, because it knows there is one. Pessimism wrings its hands and wilts.

    I've missed your posts, Isis. Glad to see you back.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic attitude, Isis! Glad you're back in cyber world. As you probably found out, nothing's really changed out here.

    I hope you're getting settled.

    Patricia Rickrode
    w/a Jansen Schmidt

    ReplyDelete
  14. L.G. ~ I'm ashamed it took something so drastic to get me to back up my work.

    Jamie ~ Hope you have a great day!

    Cassie ~ Trust me I was devastated, but I'm pretty good at bouncing back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sia ~ Attitude is indeed everything.

    Patricia ~ Happy to reconnect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to meet you Isis! Sounds like it was the higher powers telling you to take just a couple more days off ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've shed too many tears already. I'm tired. Don't want to go there anymore. I'm glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. computer problems make me shudder. I wouldn't know what to do--that's why I married an IT expert ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It would have been so easy to let the break continue a little longer faced with a setback like that, I'm impressed that you didn't. I'm also impressed that you didn't start rocking in a corner, so soon after your last computer hassles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the never give up post--I needed one of these today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hate computer problems which is why I obsess about backing up everything in several different places.

    Glad you're back. Hope you're settling in well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Isis, positive actions and thoughts help get us through the rough times. Hope you don't have any more computer troubles any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you for not giving up! My son had a computer invasion this week, as well. So frustrating! Glad to hear you're keeping the temporary setback in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello from France!
    After that visit your blog!
    I wish you a great start of week.
    I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you to my blog
    See you soon I hope
    cordially
    Chris
    I invite you to visit Blogspot Directory
    I am a member of Directory Blogspot and I think this community could also interest you.
    We would be pleased to welcome
    To find out, click on the link below:
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

    http://sweetmelody87.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. You rock Miss Isis!!! I hope that you're doing better now, a month later. You've been my inspiration this whole time and I hope that you're well.

    ReplyDelete