Friday, October 21, 2011

Third Campaigner Challenge & More

Since I neglected didn’t have time to do the second challenge, I figured I had to accomplish the third campaigner challenge.

Here are the rules:

Write a blog post in 300 words or less, excluding the title.

The blog post should show:

• that it’s morning,
• that a man or a woman (or both) is at the beach
• that the MC (main character) is bored
• that something stinks behind where he/she is sitting
• that something surprising happens.

Just for fun, see if you can involve all five senses AND include these random words: "synbatec," "wastopaneer," and "tacise."

My entry came in at 299 words.


Working Vacation

Stretching in her cushy lounger on their strip of isolated paradise, Vy yawned and turned the page of her client’s manuscript. Being old school, she liked to make notes on a hardcopy.

“Hon, do you know what tacise means?”

Jake shook his head, eyes closed as he basked in the divine sunshine. “Aren’t you supposed to know that stuff, since you’re the expert?”

As an agent she was the supposed expert, but ever since her client, Claude, became an Oprah book club pick, he started using words that she didn’t even know.

“I think Claude is messing with me.” She homed in on another word she’d never seen in the dictionary. “What’s a wastopaneer?”

“Isn’t your brother one of those?”

With her barefoot, she flicked warm sand at him.

“Hey!” Her husband jackknifed up from his lounger, brushing powdery white granules from his tanned, lean legs.

She slurped the last of her Mai Tai, craving another and it wasn’t even close to lunchtime. A breeze carrying the salty scent of the ocean tousled her hair, flipping pages. She considered going back to where she’d left off, but if this book didn’t pick up no reader was ever going to get the chance to be confused by Claude’s ten dollar words because no editor would buy it. “What about synbatec?”

“Don’t know. Don’t care. We’re on vacation. No more… Babe, whatever you do, don’t move.”

Vy froze, wrestling with the urge to see why she shouldn’t move. Jake leaped from his chair. Eyes bulging, he stared at something behind her. Goosebumps prickled her arms.

As a horrid stench of rotten eggs and burned rubber blasted her, she wrinkled her nose. Bitter foulness seeped into her mouth, clogging her throat. Shrieking, she threw the manuscript in the air and jumped up.


There are loads of entries, many I’m sure are awesome. I’ve only read a couple so far, but plan to read more this weekend. If you happen to like mine enough to vote for it, click here, I’m entry #88.

Now, let’s move along to other things. Mention-worthy blogs of the week:

At http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/, Jessica Faust had three articles I found interesting, from how an offer from a small press can get you an agent, to reading your publishing contract, and Workshop Wednesdays running through 2011 where she’ll critique query letters.

Kristen Lamb’s guest post on Jane Friedman’s site, Three Blunders That Can Kill Your Author Platform, is a must read for writers.


Shout-out to some authors with recently released books:

The Waiting Booth by Brinda Berry

A missing boy, government agents, an interdimensional portal...

Mia has one goal for her senior year at Whispering Woods High--find her missing older brother. But when her science project reveals a portal into another dimension, she learns that travelers are moving in and out of her woods in the most alarming way and government agents Regulus and Arizona are policing their immigration. Mia’s drawn to the mysterious, aloof Regulus, but it’s no time for a crush. She needs to find out what they know about her brother, while the agents fight to save the world from viral contamination. But when Regulus reveals that he knows Mia’s secrets, she begins to wonder if there’s more going on than she thought...and if she was wrong to trust him...



Love’s Long Shadow by Ciara Knight

Sammy Lorre was cast from Heaven for conduct unbecoming an angel. Living in a demon infested small town with no memory of her previous life, she faces never-ending purgatory until Boon saunters into her life with a promise of angelic love. But is he an angel from Heaven or a minion from the underworld preying on her human emotions? To discover his true identity, she must risk eternal damnation and her heart.



Tempestuous Tales by Kandie Delley

Your wish is granted...or is it?

An urban legend becomes a nightmare when three women face the tragic consequences of an unexplainable vanishing, a sadistic marriage and a visit from beyond the grave, after an ancient talisman grants their wishes. Tempestuous Tales adds a modern twist to three classic American short stories: The Monkey’s Paw by W.W. Jacobs, Night Drive by Will F. Jenkins and Bluebeard’s Bride by Sarah Holland, based on the works of Charles Perrault.


Kandie is also having a Spooktacular Web Tour. Learn more here.


Wishing these authors many happy sales!


Are you a part of the campaign? If so, have you completed the third challenge yet? What blogs caught your eye this week? What’s new on your TBR pile?

42 comments:

  1. Iris, I enjoyed your entry. It was exciting and mysterious. Great use of the words, too. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent entry! What a clever way to incorporate all of those words, and you ended with a bang! Congratulations to all the authors on their new books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job withe the challenge. It was a tough one. THANKS SO MUCH for the shout out! I appreciate it. You are all sorts of awesome. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I want to know what was behind her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miranda~ Glad you didn't think it sucked.

    Empty Nester ~ Thanks. Wishing the athors the best.

    Ciara ~ Have a great weekend also!

    Sarah ~ I know, but I'm not telling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of my posts were already scheduled so didn't take part in the third challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice challenge entry! I didn't get to it this time. Oh well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun way to work in the challenge words! And you left us hanging and wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww- thanks so much for the mention. YOU are wonderful. :) I loved your entry. I especially liked the line- "Isn't your brother one of those?" ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who missed the second challenge. You did excellent on your third story though. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alex ~ *Wipe sweat from brow* I thought I was the only slacker, I mean, person who was really busy :).

    Kirsten ~ Don't worry about it. Making connections is the most important part.

    L.G. ~ Glad you enjoyed it.

    Brinda ~ If I could make you smile, then my work is done. Can't wait to start reading your book.

    Mel ~ Seriously, I was slammed. Glad I wasn't the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isis, you made me want to be on that sandy beach until, I was really sinking into my chair and about to imagine a vacation and then that last section. LOL. Good luck on the challenge & thanks for the plug! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm wondering what on earth crept up on her. Gotta be something awful. Gonna check out some of those links.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BTW - I think I'm gonna have the privilege of reading the first two books on your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoyed this!! Great job! Thanks for stopping by my entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not in the campaign this time around, but it's been fun reading everyone's posts! Well done on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ack! A cliffhanger! I really want to know what was there. Great job Isis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I looked everywhere, but there's no clue as to what's behind her. That's so cliffhangery, it's mean! But otherwise it's really well done with a great flow and definitely fulfills the showing of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to know what was behind her. Nicely done. Mine is #56

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the *Oprah Book Club* part! Def made me want to know what was behind her! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. So what's behind her? This wonderful sleepy scene. I could feel the sun and hear the surf ...

    Thanks for the mentions of authors with new releases out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. KD ~ Good luck on your debut release!

    JL ~ Happy reading. They look good and both are already loaded on my kindle.

    Jess ~ Really enjoyed your entry.

    Lydia ~ CONGRATS again! Wishing you great success.

    Jessica ~ Thanks for stopping by. Sometimes a cliffhanger is good :).

    KT ~ I gave clues as to what is behind her by the smell *wink*

    Bridget ~ I'm making my rounds. Will definitely get to yours.

    Sheri ~ Glad you enjoyed that bit.

    M Pax ~ I plan to mention more over the weeks. I didn't want a huge long list in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderfully written! The cliffhanger is getting to me, but sometimes they're good. :) Nice use of the made up words. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the name "Vy."

    Makes me wonder what's behind her. Need an extra dose of imagination to figure it out. Once again, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was great. Except, of course, for being left hanging this way. *grin* I popped over and voted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Christine ~ Happy to know the cliffhanger didn't annoy you.

    David ~ Thrilled finally connect with you in Twitterverse.

    LD ~ Hugs for the vote :).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think Oprah's Book Club authors make up words too! Great take on the challenge. I enjoyed this tons :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your Challenge #3 post! Fabulous job working in the nonsensical words, and cheers to making it about writing too! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is great!! What a way to use those crazy words, with a neat touch of humor. But so unfair the way you left it--I want more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great way to use those words! I also loved how you put in the senses.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great story. The ending left me wanting more. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I would love to know what got her! And I loved this line: "Isn't your brother one of those?" :)
    Mine is #25.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Isis. I love your story, such humour trickling along. Some great lines such as, yes, 'Isn't your brother one of those?'

    Lovely of you to give shout outs to fellow bloggers. I didn't know Ciara's book was out yet. Thanks for the info on all of them.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well done. I'm not part of the Challenge, just stopping by to see what you're up to.

    This was a fun excerpt to read. It had me smiling all the way to the end; and that was a surprise :)

    .........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gah! I want to know what was behind her!

    Great work, Isis. I loved their rapport. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Isis, I don't have room for another thing on my plate, but I'll read all about it.

    *grin*

    Sia McKye's Thoughts...OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  37. you know that hard to say the scary one that i read is the Stephen king the cometary one but then he a good author and scary one to get your attention i love to read the exorsit never read it
    desitheblonde2mns.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Isis - I love your entry. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey! Great challenge entry! ^_^ Just stopping by to let you know you've been chosen to move on to the next round of judging.

    ReplyDelete
  40. New follower here! I too want to know what was behind her!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete