Friday, September 9, 2011

Ten Random Facts

This week went by in a blur and I can’t believe it is Friday.

Instead of my end of week review, where I take a look at a movie to see what writers can learn, I’m listing ten random facts about me. I was tagged TWICE, by Megan Nafke and Maria Smith, to do this so here goes in no particular order.

1. I dislocated my knee cap once while standing at a bus stop. I was about 12 years old, out with my aunt and her boyfriend, and my knee just popped out of place. It was the weirdest thing. I was hospitalized for several days and had to wear a knee brace for weeks after. I’m missing some of the tendons that connect the quadriceps to the knee cap. Bizarre, right? Fortunately, it’s never happened again.

2. All recovering java junkies, please step forward. “Hi, my name is Isis and I’m a java junkie. It was a staple in my home growing up and I can drink a well-brewed cup black, although I prefer it with cream. I managed to break my addiction back in 2004 and turned to tea as my new caffeine crutch. Then I went on vacation to Italy and jumped fell off the wagon. The aroma of cappuccino was stronger than my willpower. Since then, it’s been an ongoing struggle. I may lose all a few battles, but I’m determined to win the war.”

3. I've been rushed to the hospital twice in an ambulance because unbeknownst to me at the time I have an exercise-induced allergy. At first, doctors thought it was to shellfish. Turns out it’s to wine. Thankfully, I can drink vino with no problems (you did notice the wine enthusiast part in my Twitter bio) as long as I don’t have any strenuous activity afterwards. Wine + dancing = anaphylactic shock. Wine + running for my life = probable death. Wine + good time with hubby (wink, wink) = fun.

4. What is the worst torture device invented disguised as something fun? Roller coasters. I get sick--I’m talking pounding headache, nauseated to my core for the rest of the day sick on all roller coasters, with one exception. Magic Mountain at Disney World. I’m not sure if it is the combination of mild drops and something to do with being in the dark, but (after giving in to peer pressure enough) I know this is the only one I actually enjoy that doesn’t ruin my experience at an amusement park.

5. I turned down a full scholarship to Syracuse University to join the U.S. Army, where I developed my love-hate relationship with running. Long story, but no boys were involved.

6. Moving fish widgets on blogs/websites CREEP me out big time! Major heebie jeebies.

7. I’m a native New Yorker, but I received my undergraduate degree from The Ohio State University (Go Buckeyes!). Why did I deliberately choose the Midwest? Another long story, but a boy was involved.

8. When I was 16, I participated in the People to People Student Ambassador Program. During the phone interview, I was asked, “How would you describe yourself? Leader, Follower, Jester (come on, we all need to laugh), Rounder-up-of-strays, or Loner?”

Without hesitation, I answered, “I don’t like labels, but if you’re forcing me to choose, Rounder-up-of strays.” Sure enough, I found every kid that didn’t fit in with one of the usual cliques, and we became a merry band of misfits.

9. In the last 17 years, I’ve been in 19 different cities for six weeks or longer (vacations/visiting family doesn’t count) across three different continents. In that same time frame, I’ve picked up and moved all of my belongings 13 times (mostly military moves). If I’m in one place for too long, I get twitchy.

10. Although I came up with the line, “For the love of Jimmy Choo”, I don’t own a single pair. In fact, you are more likely to see me in black suede Keds, which I wear all the time, than in high heels. I choose comfort over fashion 7 times out of 10, but there’s no excuse for sweatpants.

Hope that didn’t take up too much of your time. I’m supposed to tag five more unsuspecting fellow campaigners. If you’ve already been tagged, please forgive me for the oversight and feel free to pass.

Brinda Berry
Jessica Aspen
Tina Moss
Eve E. Angel
Barbara McDowell

50 comments:

  1. I've never heard of anyone who had that reaction to wine. Although, if I'm drinking wine, it's because I want to relax and not exercise after. Love the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating stuff! I too was born in NY (Brooklyn) and now live in the Midwest, but have not moved around like you have. Hmm? An allertic reaction to wine an exercise? Who would have thought? Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these, talk about different! I'm like you in that I get itchy feet if I've been in one place for too long. I've been here for 9 years because of the girls school. It's the longest I've lived anywhere and I can't wait to move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, these are some great facts... and yeah, there's no exercising after wine!!! but that's a weird reaction.. now I want to know why it happens exactly.. hehe!

    and don't worry about giving up coffee.. I once read, somewhere, that it's good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wine allergy - now that's new! And I don't do roller coasters either. Makes my head hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great factoids! I got tagged today, too, but yours are much more interesting than mine. But #3 sucks. Wine without vigorous activity afterward? That's usually when I most feel like engaging in *cough* rigorous activity. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clarissa ~ One time it happened, I was out with friends at dinner and we had wine. A little later we decided to go dancing. Ended up in the ER.

    Em ~ I really enjoyed my time in OH. I was rather surprised by how much.

    Sarah ~ We think that if we ever have kids, we'll settle down a little longer in one place.

    Cristina ~ You are so not helping this java junkie :).

    Alex ~ People seem like they have so much fun on them. Oh, well.

    Linda ~ Looking forward to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch for a few of those. My son was invited to the ambassador program. Sounded like fun. He didn't go for...well, he just didn't go. =)

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow, that's a lotta moves! Also, I love the fact that you generally choose comfort over fashion - you're my kinda gal! I actually don't own a single pair of heels, either.

    So cool getting to know you better! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is a fantastic list! I'm totally with you on roller coasters. I used to LOVE them, but now they just make me feel like my skull has been hammered, then shaken. No, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liz ~ I had a great time in the program. Too bad he didn't go.

    Crystal ~ These ten random fact hops have been kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy ~ Ha-ha. I so know that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad the knee cap thing hasn't happened again. Wine? That's interesting and apparently deadly in the wrong combination. I've been known to round up a few misfits too. I hope I never grow out of that. Congrats on serving in the Army.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OO, I like yours. Funny story, I was addicted to coffee lollipops before I was allowed to have coffee. Now that I can have coffee, I only drink the cold stuff, with caramel flavoring lol.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad I tagged you now. Thank you for giving us an incite into your life. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting. Which one did you decide to give up wine or exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy cow! How in the heck did you dislocate your knee? I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you in your middle age.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was fun reading about you! And while you can't possibly know if you'll be running for your life after drinking wine, let's hope it never happens =P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jimmy Choo or not, you're still fabulous.

    Hey, I think my mom might have that wine allergy too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These made me laugh plus it was cool to learn some trivia facts about you.

    And girl, no way, no how, am I giving up my coffee. I might cut back now and then (I usually have 2 or 3 cups in the morning and two in the evening) and I do enjoy tea, but I LOVE my coffee.

    Curious, have you ever been to Ft. Leonard Wood while in the Army? Only 30 miles from me.

    Sia McKye's Thoughts...OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a New Yorker also (Bronx), now transplanted to PA.

    I have never heard of the wine+exercise allergy. With all my allergies, I am glad I don't have that one. However, after a glass or two of fine wine, I am usually not in the mood for a Zumba class. Wine + me = mellow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're a very interesting girl, with very interesting stuff going on with her body parts. If I had a trick knee, I'd be mincing around thinking about it all the time. :) Think you better stay off the wine full time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved these ten random facts about you! No wonder you're a writer, your life has been filled with interesting experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing! That was fun. I love roller coasters, but those widget things weird me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice facts! The exercised-induced allergy is pretty nuts. No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  26. on #10 fact There IS no excuse for sweatpants! And depending on the person... there is no excuse for spandex either. Fashion doesn't have to be painful but there is a difference between comfortable and sloppy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Isis *waving*,
    Terrific insight into the REAL Isis. lol. Number 6 made me laugh; some of the others made my body ache. I guess I won't ask you to meet me at an amusement park for a marathon of roller coaster riding. :) Thanks for the tag. I'll see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What great snippets about you! I love the irrational fear of fish widgets. Just let the caffeine win--life is too short to deny yourself legal highs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Interesting.Thanks for sharing. I'll have to ditch the fish widget! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  30. Go Bucks!! I grew up in Ohio and left about 2 years ago to live in NC. The weather is so much nicer down here.

    Btw, I'm a complete Java Junkie too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hahhaaa! Those are some amazing/interesting facts. Too bad about the wine though. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stacy ~ I haven't outgrown it so far.

    Kelley ~ Coffee lollipops would be my undoing.

    MAria ~ It was fun.

    Kirsten ~ Giving up nothing, just enjoying both separately.

    Maria Z ~ In old age, all sorts of things will probably fall apart. Just as long as nothing falls down (sagging not allowed).

    ReplyDelete
  33. Miho ~ Figures crossed!

    Lydia ~ Thanks for the fab comment.

    Sia ~ I'm happy to say, I've never been to FT. Leonard Wood. Haven't heard the best things about it.

    Starting Over ~ Wine + me definitely equals mellow now :).

    J.L. ~ Doc has cleared me to drink wine, as long as I don't exercise, so I shall continue to enjoy :).

    RegectedRiter ~ I so want 10 facts about you.

    Christine ~ Ah, another one weired out by the fish widgets. YAY.

    Steph ~ I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glitterword ~ Sweats should be banned :).

    Brinda ~ Loved your list.

    Julie ~ I'm inclined to agree with you.

    Jennifer ~ THANK YOU. Your site creeps me out every time.

    Alynza ~ Go Bucks! is right.

    Jessica ~ I've learned to live with it. Not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love number 5 - I developed that same love hate relationship with running. I used to run a bunch even when I got out - until one foot got run over by a car (somewhat funny story). I need to get running again to try to catch that elusive 'runner's high' that I've only ever achieved like 2 times in my running life. Have you ever had it? *yeah you know what I'm talking about maybe hahah*

    *pop by my sister's blog on Monday she's going to have a giveaway of a handmade zombie bunny plush toy she has made - ADORABLE! in a creepy way of course haha
    http://rinnisplayground.blogspot.com

    PS Sis and I are both prior army as well!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pabkins, I have had a runner's high, when I was training for a half-marathon. My hubby hurt his foot and we both stopped together. I have to run for 45 or longer to get it, not something I do regularly, lol.

    Will swing by on Mon.

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are fun! And I can certainly relate to #2.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great random facts, Isis! I was laughing out loud (one of my favorite things to do) at your humor. I stopped by via the shout-out you got at Angela Orlowski-Peart's blog post! You've had an interesting life it seems! I also love to move... and get twitchy when in one spot for too long! But we're planted pretty deep in the northeast. For now. Ha! ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wine allergy? Maybe that's what's wrong with me. I love your random facts. You sound like a woman of action. And doesn't the move to the midwest always involve a boy. BTW: ice cream goes good with everything. And there's no reason to give up coffee. I maintain that roller coasters are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Very cool to learn more about you! I am such a java junkie, so I'm taking a big step forward! I'm glad I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE roller coasters. So sorry to hear that they make you so sick. That's just not right. Fun facts!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ouch! That knee dislocation sounds so painful! And LOL at the moving fish phobia! ;) And you are so awesome having been to so many places. I've been to 6 states. That's about it. I would love to travel someday when the kidlets get older though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. All great tidbits! The knee thing? OUCH!

    The Syracuse thing? Are you crazy? No, no, I'm sorry, I totally respect your decision and admire all those who volunteer for the armed forces. God bless you! Still, Syracuse? Wow! (Sorry, this is from a parent who wants to get their very bright son into a good college but is too broke to offer much.)

    As for the java junkie, well, I live in Seattle, if that tells you anything. But recently, I discovered that if I have coffee anytime after 9am, I cannot sleep that night, so no more java for me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great facts.... especially the Jimmy Choo one ...hehe made me giggle:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. That was an interesting and entertaining. Thanks for the in depth look! Wine + dancing = anaphylactic shock. (HAH!) Wine + running for my life = probable death. (Either way!) Wine + good time with hubby (wink, wink) = fun. (LOL)

    So glad I don't have that one!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I totally relate to military moves and having a strange body. Nice to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I remember People to People! One of my best friends went on two trips with them but I missed out. Still bummed about that to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Isis,
    Guess what? You're being tagged again but this time to receive the Versatile Bloggers Award! I've chosen you as one of my 15.
    If you decide to participate please go to my blog: http://kineticwriting.com/2011/09/13/versatile-blogger-award/
    Thanks for having a great blog!
    juliet :)
    p.s. we're in the Write Campaign together.

    ReplyDelete
  49. LOL Isis...I also have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award:-)

    ReplyDelete