Wednesday, March 30, 2011

QUICKIE: Finally Field Grade

Every post doesn’t have to be long and thoughtful. Sometimes a quickie is in order.

Last night, I received great news. My Air Force Reserve commander called to inform me that the promotion board selected me for Major. I jumped for joy while my dh watched with a perplexed expression, then squashed my squeal of glee and maintained some semblance of military bearing in my voice.

I’m finally a field grade officer. For those who don’t know, a field officer in the US military is a commissioned officer (O-4 to O-6) senior in rank to a company officer (O-1 to O3), but junior to a general officer. Field officers can be expected to operate somewhat independently for short periods of time commanding infantry battalions, cavalry or artillery regiments, warships, or air squadrons (depending on service of course). They also fill staff level positions. The Army, Marines, and Air Force typically use the term field grade. I believe the Navy prefers the term senior officer.

Although this is my first time up for promotion to O-4, I feel like it has been long in the making. After leaving the Army and running toward the light, aka the Air Force, I have worked toward this goal. Every military decoration earned and every officer performance report I have sweated over, even as a butter bar, was with this objective in mind. Hallelujah.

And for the record, I was just as proud to serve in the Army as I am in the Air Force, but now I'm a lot happier.

I know all of my military buddies are wondering, what about Lt Colonel? For now, my current objectives flow from my primary focus: my family and my writing.

6 comments:

  1. Woot! I'm sooooooOOOOO thrilled for you! C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S!!! *Hugs*
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooo WTG big hugs and congratulations. You are on a roll good luck with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Isis! What an amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much everyone! I have this immense feeling of satisfaction. I'm thrilled.

    ReplyDelete