Friday, March 4, 2011

The Call: How I Landed My Agent

I waited until I had a signed contract in hand before blogging about this because I am still in shock. For my fellow aspiring authors who may be curious, I queried for a year following the rule of ten. I always had ten things going between contest entries and queries.

Three months after I started entering contests, I made the finals and created four lists of agents. The first list was labeled “Untouchables”. They were great agents I wanted, but were either super hard to get AND not taking e-queries or not accepting queries at all. What made them great? They had to have five things that were important to me on a dream list of agent qualifications, and not many have all five. I’m not sharing what those five things were, but I highly recommend doing your homework on Publisher’s Marketplace to decide what factors are important to you when choosing agents. I figured if I was lucky enough to become a finalist in the 2011 Golden Heart, I would query the Untouchables.

All agents on the other three lists took e-queries. I ranked them in tiers based partly on qualifications and partly on likability from interviews or their blog, and queried KINDRED OF THE FALLEN in small batches. In the summer of 2010, I received a request for the full from an agent I shall refer to as Agent A. She liked the manuscript and thought it could be terrific with changes = revise and resubmit (R&R). While working on revisions, I focused on contests instead of queries. The major changes I made took five months as I had a ton going on in my life, which is a story all by itself.

By the time I resubmitted to Agent A, I had a request for the full from an editor at Grand Central publishing, but Agent A said it would take her “a while” to get to it. Patience is not my strength. I queried Agent B from tier three to test out the revised manuscript. Her assistant requested the full. Feedback arrived right after the New Year and it was extremely positive. There was one thing she thought needed to be changed, but no request to resubmit. I was appreciative of the feedback and not particularly bummed.

My plan was to finish polishing my urban fantasy, PARADOX, and to work on changes of KOTF later. At the end of Jan 2011, an agent I had queried months ago, Agent C, said she found my query letter in her spam folder and asked me to send her the full. I knocked out the changes to KOTF in a week based off of Agent B’s feedback, and sent it off to her. I was excited about the revision, and had received another request for the manuscript from an editor at Tor, so I queried a new batch of agents. I wanted an agent advocating my work to editors rather than sending it directly myself.

Agent D, from the new batch, responded fairly quickly to the query saying she loved what she read in the opening pages and wanted to read the rest. As other agents were also reading, she told me she would get back to me soon.

Then out of the blue, I received an email from Untouchable Agent E. I thought the email was some kind of mistake, as I hadn’t queried Agent E, and stared at her name for five minutes before opening it. She was the Romantic Suspense judge for a contest I had entered and saw my name on the list of finalists in the Paranormal category. She googled me, found my website, contacted me through my website email address and requested to see the full of KOTF if it was still available.

After hyperventilating, I sent her the full manuscript. The very next day, she wrote back stating she only wanted to take a peek, but loved what she’d read so far and would get back to me in one week. I didn’t get too excited because I knew I could get another R&R. One week later to the day, she emailed stating how much she enjoyed the manuscript, was most impressed with the world-building, the spirituality inherent in the storyline, and the writing, and wanted to know if I would be open to some editing suggestions. I said YES. She stated she’d call me the following week. Okay, I screamed like a maniac at this point, but I knew the phone call didn’t mean she wanted to represent me.

So, I made a list of questions for the agent and came up with a game plan. If super agent E, who I wanted, conveyed passion about my work on the phone and I clicked with her, then I would look no further if she offered to represent me. If offered representation, but we didn’t have that magic spark, she seemed lukewarm while speaking about my work, or said anything which raised an instinctual warning flag, I would ask for one week while contacting all other agents.

During the conversation, I found out she wanted to expand her current paranormal list and contacted me because she loved my name. And for the record, Isis is my real name. Kisses and Hugs to my mother. Thankfully, I had a website providing contact information. Of course I wondered if she had reached out to any of the other paranormal finalists. She was quick to satisfy my curiosity by telling me I was the only one. Her enthusiasm over my work gripped me with both hands, she understood my vision for the series, and I had no qualms about her editing suggestions. I was sold!

I know, I know, you’re supposed to contact every agent reading and those sitting on your query, tell them you have an offer of representation, give those interested a week to read, and hear what they had to say before making a decision. I received more requests for the full manuscript from agents leading up to the call and after. I’ve heard accepting an agent’s offer of representation is sort of like accepting a proposal of marriage. Well, I was looking for true love with a hot guy, so to speak. It’s great when others want you because editors are interested (I received a third editor request) and another agent has deemed your work worthwhile, but deep in my gut I knew this was the one. When she asked to read the full, she didn’t know editors had requested my work and it wasn’t until after she offered representation that she learned other agents were reading the manuscript.

Agent E finding me and loving my work felt like destiny. Who am I to question a gift from the universe when it’s exactly what I wanted? It may sound crazy to pass up a chance to say I had X number of offers or to find out what that number might have been, but I can honestly say I have never regretted following my gut … except for that one time in Vegas. Even my husband, who is an unwavering voice of reason, agreed with my decision.

Today, my contract arrived in the mail and I signed with Helen Breitwieser of Cornerstone Literary Agency. For those aspiring authors on the hunt, I say don’t hesitate to enter contests or to create a web presence (blog or website) where others can find you. You never know what can happen.

34 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC story! Congrats. Enjoy the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you, Isis.

    I know how hard it is to find the one that loves your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Isis! Now we'll just be waiting for your first sale! :) Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, how amazing and wonderful and exciting, all at the same time! Huge congrats. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Isis... This is truly an amazing story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story. It gives us all hope. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, a sure sale, Isis!!! Way to go fellow Romvet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Isis. What a great feeling it must be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isis, I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Many, many congratulations! It sounds like it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Isis!!!!! So happy for you.

    Pegeen

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW HOW AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! That is so cool Isis and I am doing a happy dance for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!! Great story!!!

    I hope she finds a home for your books very soon...

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's such WONDERFUL news, and sounds like you worked hard to make it happen, even if you didn't query her directly. Well done, Isis, and I look forward to watching your career take off!

    @KatrinaLatham

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! It seems the stars aligned for you.

    small quesion: could you elaborate on the rule of 10 thing? Is that ten different projects out on submission or ten query/contests out for the same project. I was a little confused in the post about which you meant. o_O

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is like a dream come true! Congrats fellow RomVet!!

    All the best,

    Loni G.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! What a lovely story. I really enjoyed your calm, collected attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome!!! What a great story and I love the fact that it was your name that piqued her interest!! You're right: kudos to Mom! Best of luck on selling the ms!!!
    E.D.: the rule of 10 (or 25) is to have that many things out at one time, be they contests or queries or submissions or whatever combination of all. I did that, had multiple agent offers and signed with my agent in one of the best weeks of my life. A caveat: the work itself had to be ready to sell. Note all of Isis's revisions; she got the right feedback to make the ms marketable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful news, Isis. It's coming, it's coming. I knew it was going to happen soon. You're on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow wow wow! That IS an incredible story, and such validation of your work! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, Isis!!! What a wonderful story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an incredible story, Isis. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Iris, what an incredible and inspirational story. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Smiles
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this is a great story! Makes me realize how much work you need to commit to for your dream. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay Isis! I'm so proud to be on your team and I knew this would happen for you. Big, sloppy congrats! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! What an awesome story. I love it!! And I love ur site as well. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations and best wishes for a successful destiny! Thank you for confirming to all the authors that contests are NOT a waste of time, money, or energy. Your dream came true. Live high, love life.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good news, indeed. You may have hired the right agent for you.

    Unfortunately this agent would not be good for me because I only make editorial changes when requested by an editor, and then only if I agree.

    I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations, Isis! I'm doing the happy dance for you. What a great story. :) Love the blog. I'm a follower now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for all the Congratulations!!!

    I really appreciate the new followers.

    To those who were confused about the rule of ten, Judi Fennell was kind enough to elaborate in her comment and explained it perfectly.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Isis! I finally got here and WOW! I am so happy for you. I have likened the search to online dating, thankfully I lucked into my husband and haven't had to do the dating thing, because finding an agent is hard enough. I think it's not just kismet, but your hard work!WOO HOO! and I am waiting on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Isis! We don't know each other, but I believe we may have been in some contest finals together (?). Anyway, just happened by here and wanted to offer my congrats on the agent, however belated. Sounds like you are well on your way! Can't wait to see your stuff on my Kindle/on the bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete