Saturday, May 15, 2010

Do you believe in Karma?

As I scurry to prepare for my upcoming deployment next month and a last minute trip to Lake Como, Italy next week, time is slipping away from me. I'm a planner, so when I feel overwhelmed I create a schedule. Life decided not to cooperate this time. A friend asked for my assistance with a federal job application. If anyone has ever applied for one, you know what a bear they can be. My deadline for feedback is Sun. My crit partner met editors and agents at RT and received requests for partials and fulls from her pitch ... BTW yippie! I need to review her first three chapters, deadline is Thu while I'm on vacation. Then I need to provide feedback on the rest of the manuscript a week thereafter. I have a writing/revision laundry list of my own, but I agreed to help my friend and my awesome CP.

Why? Besides the fact that's what a friend is suppose to do, I believe in Karma. Rather than dwell on the naughty things I've done in my life and hold my breath waiting for the hailstorm sure to come my way someday, I like to focus on the brighter side of life. The more I help others and give to the universe, the more I will receive.

I recently resigned from my federal job. Gasp ... shriek. I've heard the rule for unpublished writers: don't give up your day job. I've also heard I'm crazy to walk away from a federal job, where it only takes five years to get vested, and I could get credit for my active duty military time. First, breaking the rules can be so much fun. Dare to live outside the box and I guarantee you will enjoy life more. Second, a touch of insanity is like a pinch of salt bringing out the flavor in a dish or a splash of color adding life to a mosaic. People may call me crazy, but I've never been called dull.

I decided not to hold on to a job that wasn't bringing me joy and run on the hamster wheel for five years because there may be someone else in the world who might want my job, love doing my job, and might be made happier if they had my job. I know I will be happier having more time to focus on my passion.

Once again, releasing my job and letting someone else in the universe have it is all about Karma and having faith in an abundant universe. I believe the type of energy you put out in the world will come back to you.

8 comments:

  1. I love the theme of this post. Too often, people worry so much about what they *can't* do that they forget to even consider what they *can* do. Or what they *want* to do! I have a lovely quote from Goethe posted next to computer: "At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." Congrats on leaving your job to seek your real dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post~ thanks for the reminder that it really is all about what you can do. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for your dreams and do it with a pure heart. Good Karma will follow. I believe in you with all my heart! Thank you for taking the chance; the world will be a better place. Love ya! Carina

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely thoughts, Isis. I believe you are doing the right thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally believe in karma. Mean people may seem to skate through life but I have to believe karma will bite them in the butt sooner or later. By the same token I have to believe good deeds will bring me goodness too. And if not, at least I feel good doing them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isis, funny about your post I've been in retail since 1991 and am ready to return to a federal job after resigning in 1985 to move to Hawaii. I feel it will be a change of pace which I might end up hating as well after 5 or 6 years but I lasted 7 last time. I had 10 years when I resigned. I took a big chance and decided since we have to move anyway, to go on and just move to Fort Hood where my husband and I will be closer to the military medical care that I prefer. I'm also contemplating buying a house down there. OMG owning a house is scary we did it in OK in the 1980's and failed miserably after his retirement. I'm crossing fingers for things to be better this time around. But my rambling point was to just cut the ties and go for it. I am quitting my job for the move and so hope NOT to return to retail for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post/topic Isis. As I read, three quotes popped to my mind:
    "Leap and the net will appear."

    "The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear." - Brian Tracy

    "You have not lived a perfect day, even though you have earned your money, unless you have done something for someone who will never be able to repay you." - Ruth Smeltzer

    I, too, believe we reap what we sew. I believe the gift of writing is just that. You took a huge leap of faith, and I have faith that your decision will open doors to amazing opportunities. I wish you amazing success!

    ReplyDelete