Friday, April 16, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

As an aspiring author on the long, rocky road to publication, I figured it was only natural for my first post to be about, you guessed it, writing. I have recently come out of the closet to friends and co-workers regarding my passion for storytelling and dedication to see my name in print. I did receive one "are you crazy" squint, along with a mute head nod, but overall everyone has been encouraging and optimistic.

The scariest part about having a dream with unlikely odds of success is sharing it with others. I asked myself many times before telling anyone, except my dh (darling husband), what if I fail? What if I tell people about my hopes and dreams and I don't succeed? My answer: remove failure as an option. By putting myself out there, so to speak, I was making a commitment to myself that I would succeed. If I believe in my talent, have faith in the universe to support my desire, and passion to fuel me, then there is nothing to fear.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear from Dune

Yes, I'm a movie fanatic, but moving right along ...

The hardest part about having a dream is pursuing it. Many people say, "I want to travel and see the world", but wait until they have saved enough, retire, or overcome their fear of flying. Many people say, "I want to do something with my life that makes me happy, but can't because I have to pay the bills." Many people say, "I want to write a book, but I don't have time." Remove the "but" and just do it!

At an early age, the wanderlust bug bit me. Since I was seventeen, I have traveled all over the world. Do I come from an affluent family? Far from it. In fact, my colorful past has enabled me to give my stories a backbone and my characters substance. I wanted to write a book. I've finished three, well, two and three quarters. Did I have time? No, I made time while working a full time job, serving as a military reservist, and taking online workshops to hone my craft. I still had to make time for my dh and canine kiddies. I bow to all of you on the same road who are able to juggle the balls with children added to the mix, Bravo.

I am following my bliss and enjoying the journey, even the bumpy bits. Make the most of your life starting today. I hope you'll stick with me as I chronicle my adventure.

16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what is ahead. Your words always inspire me! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mrs. Dream Facilitator. I always admired your courage to take a huge pay cut to do something you loved. You followed your bliss and the money came. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great to "meet" you and get to know more about your past. Congrats on facing the fear--actually writing--and the second fear--declaring your intention. You're right, it's a scary thing to tell others of our dream. But it looks to me like you're determined to succeed. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isis, congrats on your new blog. I agree with you completely. You can't wait around for life to happen. It's happening all around you every day and you have to jump in and participate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. It's a great big juggling act and sometimes you find yourself juggling swords and fire.

    Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Amy and Carol E. Finding the GIAMers, my beta readers, and Rae Monet who told me about RomVets has all been a godsend to help support me on my journey and I'm grateful to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isis,

    I am so proud of you! You are an inspiration and you are right, that ride known as life is going to keep right on going, never slowing down. It is up to you to jump on and do what you want and enjoy it how you will! Keep up the great (and hard) work - the rewards will be plenty in the end, I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isis,

    You did a great job on your blog. I will say this though; it's not always good writers who make it to the end. If you're a good writer and you persist you'll make it. Just don't quit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa, Chris, and Sandy,

    Thanks for the encouragement. Persistence is crucial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isis, great first blog! As you and others agreed, Declaring the Dream can be as hard as writing the book. There'll be ups and downs, but persistance is the key. :) Best of luck in all you do. So glad to have you as part of the GIAMx2 family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. way to go Isis! Fellow ROMVET, Ilena Holder

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isis what a great blog. You sound so encouraging. I needed the boost today, trying to find a place to move as to since our landlord decided to either sell or use our place as a weekender. What a pita for us trying to find a place with nothing out there lol.I messed around and napped instead of writing today but I have to work overnight had to grab some sleep sometime lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful first blog, Isis! I couldn't agree more with what you said, and believe me, I'm one of the biggest procrastinators you'll meet...LOL But I did follow my dream of becoming published, a dream I've had for over 20 years, and driven by a combination of perseverence and pure stubborness, I finally made it come true. My next dream, my ultimate dream, is to be able to put NY Times Bestselling author before my name. Though this dream is more of a pipedream, I'm still going to try just as hard to make it come true. ;-)

    And so nice to put your beautiful face to the name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the support from the GIAMers and RomVets!!

    Kathy, you will find a fabulous place to live and soon, fingers crossed.

    Donna, you will make the bestseller list and when you do you'll be my inspiration to propel me forward on those bleak days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Isis!!!

    I really love your blog design, its wonderful and quite inspiring.

    I KNOW you will find the path to publication an interesting one because you've removed the element of fear and taken the most critical step. The first one. I look forward to reading your work and helping in any way I can.

    Your photo is author inspiring! Rock On!!

    ReplyDelete